18+ Up - Auto Skills Test
The cost of an auto test is $55. A deposit of $25 is required to secure your spot with the balance of $30 due at the time of the test.
There is a similarly named driving testing company in Detroit, Michigan – WE ARE LOCATED IN CADILLAC, MICHIGAN. Please do not book an appointment for Excel Driver Testing & Training if you are located in Detroit, Michigan, as we cannot accommodate!
If you are at least 18 years of age, you are eligible to take your driving test if:
- You have obtained a Michigan Operator Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP).
- You have practiced driving on a TIP for at least 30 days or the requirement was waived.
- You have not been licensed in any other state in the past 4 years.
The test takes about 1 hour to complete.
You are not allowed to have any other passengers in your vehicle during your test. There is limited seating so other than the driver who accompanies you to the test, do not bring additional people with you to the test location.
You will drive your own vehicle (or a borrowed or rented vehicle) for the test and you MUST present current proof of insurance, registration and TIP at the time of the test. Failure to do so will result in a document failure fee.
A safety inspection will be performed on your vehicle before the test begins. The following equipment will be inspected and must be operational. Failure will result in a vehicle failure fee of $25.
- Brake lights (including the third brake light if you have one)
- Headlights and tail lights
- Blinker lights
- Lug nuts (only 1 can be missing per vehicle)
- Doors – driver and passenger doors must work from the inside and outside
- Rearview mirror and outside left mirror
- Safety belts
- Tires – properly inflated
- Windshield wipers
- Windshield cannot have cracks or large chips that obstruct the driver’s vision
Please arrive on time for your test. We require 48 hours notice to cancel a test and not forfeit the $25 deposit. Failure to appear or late arrivals will also result in the forfeit of the deposit.
For skill requirements or more information, see www.michigan.gov/sos
To register for your test submit your information in the form below, then continue on to schedule an appointment.
We offer testing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons at beginning at 2:15 or 3:15 and on Saturday mornings from 8:00 to noon. Cost of the test is $55. A deposit of $25 must be paid to secure your spot with the balance of $30 due at the time of the test. To see a calendar of available times, go to the home page.
Upon successful completion of the form above you will be redirected to our “schedule an appointment” page to complete the registration process. If you do not complete the second part, you will not be scheduled for a test time!