Managing entity for Cadillac Truck Service, independent third party tester for the State of Michigan.

You are here: Home Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


How does the weather affect my test and deposit?

In the winter or in heavy fog, you may reschedule with no penalty if you do not feel safe taking the test.  The examiner may also cancel tests if he feels it is unsafe.  For motorcycles, if it is raining hard or has been raining and there is standing water on the course, the test will have to be rescheduled.  The test can be conducted if it is only a light rain.  Please call (231) 590-0157 before your test if it is raining where you are.  If no phone call is received, you may forfeit your deposit as it may be raining where you are, but not at the test location.

Do I have to drive my own vehicle?

We do not provide a vehicle.  The auto or motorcycle that you test with does not have to belong to you but it must have valid registration and proof of insurance and be able to pass the safety inspection.  Failure to provide valid documents or not passing the safety inspection will result in the forfeit of your deposit.

What does a motorcycle test involve?

The motorcycle tests consists of 4 riding exercises including cone weave and normal stop, turning from a stop and U-turn, quick stop and obstacle swerve.

What does an auto test involve?

A basic skills test (forward stop line, sight side backing or a Y-turn, and blind side backing or parallel parking) must be passed first before going out on the road.  The road test consists of residential driving, city driving, freeway driving and hazard awareness.

Why is a deposit required?

When you schedule a test, the examiner sets this time aside just for you and is then unable to accommodate someone else who may want a test.  If you fail to appear at your appointment (including being late), your deposit will be forfeited.  If you need to reschedule your test, please give at least 48 hours notice.

Once the test is passed, can I drive on my certificate?

You must go to the Secretary of State office to have it endorsed before you can legally drive by yourself.

What is the cost of the test?

Auto tests are $55, motorcycle tests are $45.

How long does the test take?

Auto tests take about 1 hours.  Motorcycle tests take about ½ hour.

What do I need to bring to the test?

All drivers, both motorcycle and auto, need to bring valid proof of insurance and registration.  The examiner must see these documents so please bring them with your other documentation.  If you are under 18, the examiner must see your Level One Graduated License, your Segment Two certificate and your driving log.  If you are taking an auto test and are 18 or over, the examiner must see your Temporary Instruction Permit.  For motorcycle tests, the examiner must see your driver’s license and your motorcycle Temporary Instruction permit.

Where are you located?

Tests are conducted at Cadillac Truck Service.  Their address is 4675 S. 39 ¼ Road,  Cadillac, MI.  Click here for a map or go to the “Location” page on this website.

Like Us On Facebook!